Friday, May 04, 2007

Fight Night

Because it's the NBA Playoffs (Go Spurs! Go!), and there's that Dela Hoya-Mayweather, Jr. fight on Sunday. And of course, elections are nearing in the Philippines--

It's time to count the score.

  1. In a few minutes is Game 6 of the Mavs-GSW matchup that nobody expected to come out the way it has. But then again, playoff season is the time for surprises. As one GSW fan says about the Mavs' last minute win in Game 5, "Wow Dirk, wow. By the hair of your chinny-chin-chin you escaped." As for me, I'll be having another lunch-out I can't afford just so I can catch Baron Davis and his Warriors send Dirk--chinny-chin-chin and all--packing home. SCORE: GSW fan 1, Dirk 0
  2. I am not a boxing fan, so I may have gotten my facts wrong--or it could be one of those stranger-than-fiction things. Floyd, Sr. once trained Oscar dela Hoya. And is only now siding on his son's corner for this fight-of-a-lifetime/money-making-venture. And only because Dela Hoya refused to pay him $2M for training. Wow. Talk about fatherly love. SCORE: Oscar $23M, Floyd, Jr. $10M, Floyd, Sr. 0, Freddie Roach $1.3M
  3. I thought Ilonggos had enough to be embarrassed about with Miriam Santiago and her awful accent, hair, pretensions, etc. Who knew that good ol' Raul could actually dethrone her and take the "brain-damaged" (si-raul-o) title for himself? I haven't been home to Iloilo in quite some time, but the food there has always been excellent. But maybe it's time we have the DOH check for mad cow or red tide or just plain "foot-in-mouth" disease--because Raul, Sr. is foaming at the mouth, Raul, Jr. is Iloilo's congressman, and I see Miriam on TV again these days. SCORE: Miriam +1, Raul, Jr. 0, Raul, Sr. -100,000
  4. It's always been nice walking around the Katipunan area, but now it's entertaining too, what with crazy jingles from people running for office. There's Banal with his "Banal-Banal-Banal. Banal-sa-Konsehal." to the tune of that old folksong or something that's used in old computer game tunes (Helpful, Drey. Very helpful.) and Wency Lagumbay's adaptation of the "Aaaaaah-awitin mo, at isasayaw ko" by VST&Co or whatever that Eat Bulaga bunch was called before one became a senator, and the others, well... But what topped it all was Pichay's slogan and poster. When I first read his "Pichay: Itanim sa Senado" slogan, I wasn't sure if it was stupid or brilliant. But when I noticed that the poster background actually had a drawing of a pechay, well, that fuckin' killed me. SCORE: Pichay 1, Pechay 0
  5. I was walking along Katipunan one day, deaf to the world for the Rolling Stones screaming in my ear, when a street kid tapped me on my elbow. Thinking I knew what he wanted, I shook my head No-I-don't-have-money and continued walking. He stuck with me for a block or so, and all the time he was tapping my arm, and I was saying no. Finally I took off my earphones in exasperation, and for the first time, heard the kid ask, "Ate, anong oras na po?" SCORE: Kid 1, Andrea 0

And so, life goes on. Or, "That's life," as someone famously put it. Now, let's talk basketball.

Joey Crawford, for all his "suspended indefinitely" crap, has actually achieved something for that Dallas-Phoenix rivalry people are hoping for in the Western Conference Finals. The Spurs in losing that last game to the Mavs in regular season stayed in the #3 spot, and now will be facing Phoenix early morning Monday for their first game of the second round. What all these people forgot is that the Spurs can easily win against the Suns when they have control of the game's pace, and--no this has to be in all caps--AND, IT MIGHT NOT EVEN BE DALLAS WAITING FOR EITHER TEAM AT THE OTHER END. NYAHAHAHAHAHAHA! or, [Insert Evil Laughter here.]

And there, my friends, is the rub.

It can't get any better than this.

4 comments:

mdlc said...

the spurs over the suns? mas mabilis ba ang slo-mo kaysa fast-forward? kumain ka na ba? naka-drugs ka ba?

eight beers on this one. or eighty. putcha, dalawang daliri. matalo magpapakalbo. spurs over suns? kurt "secret weeeeeeeeeh-pon" thomas will make duncan a non-factor. marion on ginobili. and, uh, rex chapman on parker. have you seen chapman lately? he can go 5 miles per hour and can lift, like, forty-seven pounds.

this'll be over faster than you can say "poetry reading sa mag:net sa lunes." itaga mo sa bato.

dreyers said...

i hate taking your money. or beers. or your hair. but, what the heck, you're on!!!

my spurs over your suns in 6 games. ooops, did i tell you we just gained home court advantage today?

kitakits mamaya.

PS. my word verification combination says: sunsuckass

Unknown said...

Oo nga naman Drey. Masama ba magtanong ng oras? Where's your sense of compassion, bitch! :) Ha ha ha ha ha. = )

Unknown said...

Drey, sorry, I can't relate sa basketball chooo chooo. But you know, Miss Universe na. Coronation night is on May 28. Ha ha ha ha! The contest is now going on in Mexico. Like you care, noh? Ha ha ha ha! Miss ko na ang mga bloopers natin, bitch. Can we take two your blooper with the kid when I visit you in Katipunan? Ha ha ha.