Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Little blog of horrors

Something I saw in an old blog which I never finished (the post, the blog is way, way over). Sounds familiar? But I don't know why I never clicked on [Publish this post], because having seen it again, it amused me no end. (Na-amuse sa sariling sinulat? Winner. Kaya nga "shameless self-promotion" eh.) And made me think about my idea of making an(other) anonymous-kuno, unlinked blog where I could... never mind. Here it is:


"So. I have a problem.

This blog was set up for various reasons: shameless self-promotion, posterity, etc, etc--and so I don't always run to my friends when I feel like ranting--but basically I wanted this to be a place where I can be honest and just be myself.

But I realize, there is no bigger bullshit than to just "be yourself." Just! Look how easy, Just be yourself! (Remember this tag line? It was popularized by the clothing store geared towards the ever impressionable, peer-pressure-able teen crowd.) We all have alternate egos, and you're a liar if you say any different. In my case, there's Drey-with-her-family, Drey-at-work, Drey-all-by-herself, Drey-with-friends, Drey-with-people-she-has-just-met. Perhaps there might even be a Drey-with-a-cute-guy alterego. And though we pretty much get along, it kinda gets crowded if I introduce every Drey to whomever I meet every time. Or if I attempt to mix-and-mingle with the whole gamut of categories. So.


What's the problem again? Who are you talking to? Which Drey?"


Nyahahahahaha.

Now I want to meet all of them Dreys I was talking about. Like an out-of-body experience where I observe all these little selves (Is this an Oliver Sacks essay, "Selves"? Someone else?) in action while spirit-Drey is floating overhead, arms akimbo, wearing an amused little smile. Occasional mutters of "What a crock of shit!" "Winner ang posturing!" and "Booola!" floating around in thought bubbles. All done with indulgent patience, like I imagine on my Mom's face when I told her I'd give her my first pay check as a little tribute. (She was kind enough not to laugh and blurt out a sarcastic "Right!" to my face.)

Hahaha. Tangina. Looking over old blog posts is (weird and a little too self-serving, yes) like listening to your family recount stories of past bloopers you don't even remember.

As a matter of fact, my mom actually scoffed at the offer, adding, "Tapos ano? Hingi ka ng allowance?"

Winner. Yun lang. Winner.

No comments: