Friday, March 21, 2008

The beginning of something...

Birth

I.
First night in -----
and the tail-end of winter.
My breath has become
a continuous stream of white
smoke and vapor combined.

II.
Is this how everything is begun?
An expulsion of breath
solidified into a word?

In the beginning was the Word
And gases swirled into this ground I walk on.

III.
And how to begin now
to tell a story long past--
When memory is silent
and only imagination
swirling inside my head.

IV.
Sometimes I run, my feet pounding
on the ground like a heart
throwing my feet on the air
only to pull it down again

as if I could run forever.
And if I did, won't I be back
where I started?

V.
And maybe my life began
with a kiss, then an expulsion
then a breath, a cry.

Theirs, too, who came before me.

Meanwhile, the earth moves
around and around the sun.
Who am I to talk of beginnings?

No comments: