Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Imagine me and you

I'm happy. Kind of.

I am, really. But I don't know why, exactly. So I'm suspicious. Ha!

*****

I learned a new word, a couple of weeks ago that I really like: Frangible (frăn'gə-bəl) adj. It means breakable, capable of being broken, given to breakage. I don't know why I fell in love with this word. It seems a marriage between fragile and tangible, which somehow makes the breaking all the more painful, somehow.

Like seeing JC Intal breaking down after Game 3, and being hugged up from the floor by his parents. Frangible. Inconsolable. Heartbreaking.

*****

Ateneo was the number one team and held the best record. UST barely made it to the Final Four. We were on top and they were the underdog, both hungry to prove themselves. But fate had to have its way.

"If this were the NBA, it wouldn't have happened!" my best friend insisted over the phone. I know, I know. But this is college basketball, and the drama, the momentum, and the kind of fate that is in charge of epics and hero-making and idealism had to have its way.

If I were from UST, I would be sure, now, of why exactly I am happy. But I am not, and all I can say is, it had to end that way.

Which makes me think there might be different kinds of fate.

*****

Milenyo, on the other hand, is another story. Not fate. No, not exactly.

It just gets me thinking how fragile we are, how given to break, at any given moment. How frangible.

*****

But, I'm supposed to be happy. Or at least it started out that way. And again, I don't know why, exactly. Me and you and you and me, no matter how they roll the dice and all that.

*****

So happy together. How's the weather?

3 comments:

slowmotion said...

dear, i haven't heard from you in weeks!! so whatzdaplan?

Unknown said...

yes, drey. what's the plan. let's go drinking once again. ha ha ha ha ha. and don't be so suspect of your happiness. just be. you know. sometimes when you're happy you just are. endrophins, girl. :) hi hi hi.

dreyers said...

october 23, 0955H, cebu pacific non-stop to manila. yeah, alcohol and cigarettes! see you soon, my lovelies. kisses!