Monday, September 18, 2006

You just put your lips together and... blow.

Ad I recently saw in Nickelodeon for the popular lollipop:

Chupa Chups: The Pleasure of Sucking.

Yes, I like to suck on a cola-flavored lolly myself. And no, I don't find failure particularly pleasant, but I suppose there's a lesson to be learned somewhere. What about you?

*****

To have never taken a solitary road trip across country? I mean everybody's got to take a road trip, at least once in their lives. Just you and some music.

At least that's what the girl in the movie said. A movie, by the way, that's left me wondering why my life is not remotely movie-like. And I'm not asking for Cameron Crowe either! I mean honestly, who expects to find John Cusack holding a boombox playing Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes outside their bedroom window? I was kinda a groupie once, but I was no Penny Lane/Lady, and besides, Kate Hudson is Kate Hudson. And no "You had me at Hello." moments either. But.

Maybe just a time when you're in that perfect moment--whatever moment that is--and just have the perfect song play, too. Just a really good soundtrack. Is that too much to ask?

I'm reading this book where these two girls went out on a disastrous double date. On their way home, the guys sit in front, and the girls are stuck in the backseat wondering what went wrong. One of them says, "You know, if this was a movie and there was a score playing, think how great it would look." Mary Poppins had it wrong. It was music that made anything go down a little bit better.

But. I got sidetracked. A solitary road trip, just me and some music. Seems like a plan, which is why I've been thinking of going to Guimaras next weekend. See what I can or can't do, and grab some alone time at the same time: The beach, the sun, the sand. My bikini, sunblock, flipflops and sunglasses. Bunker oil lapping at the waves lapping at the shore...

I've got to get my bags packed and my iPod loaded.

*****

In other news.

The turntable is in good working order. Small miracles, small miracles. My dad isn't here yet, and I don't know when his vacation leave will push through. I've told him over the phone about the receiver, and the first reaction (which is far from the final verdict, I'm sure) was a disappointed "Oh." There's time enough for that, and as the turntable was glad to play, Un bel di vedremo.

See what I mean?

*****

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, thank God. The turntable is working. Uhm, Drey, how can you swim with all that oil spill on the water? You're gonna fry.

Anonymous said...

i miss you drey! keep blogging, you just made my night! have fun with the eco road trip :)

Anonymous said...

btw, i just found out that Dali designed the chupa chups logo. share ko lang..

dreyers said...

dar, guimaras was a no go because the weather here's been awful the past two weeks (as you know, of course). yeah! the turntable's okay!

mich, thanks for the info. what do you know? dali pala yun? ha! the spanish do stick together don't they?

how are you guys?