Monday, June 12, 2006

There are things I'd rather do...

I'd Rather Dance With You
Kings of Convenience

I'd rather dance with you than talk with you
so why don't we just move into the other room
there's space for us to shake, and hey, I like this tune

Even if I could hear what you said
I doubt my reply would be interesting for you to hear
because I haven't read a single book all year
and the only film I saw, I didn't like it at all

I'd rather dance than talk with you

The music's too loud and the noise from the crowd
increases the chance of misinterpretation
so let your hips do the talking
I'll make you laugh by acting like the guy who sings
and you'll make me smile by really getting into the swing

I'd rather dance than talk with you

*****

My friend was complaining about a zemi (Japanese Engrish for seminar. Sounds German, doesn't it? "Ve hav ze zemi today. Zis is korekt, ja?") he has to present a in a little while. Something about some algorithm or other, where he has to present proofs, analyze algorithms and conclude something. (I'm a regular fount of information, aren't I? Check it out yourself, you lazy bastard.) Anyway, here's plan A: his presentation is supposed to be two-and-a-half hours long. He plans to bullshit for four-fifths of that time, and leave just enough time for the proof-analysis-conclusion part. Sothathe'llappeartoknowhissubjectwell. And no time at all for any questions his sensei might have. Oops, there's the bell. What's plan B, you ask? He's practicing a twelve-minute song, a capella.

Not unlike that space-filler above, eh?

But it's true. I have stuff to do, but I'd rather go dancing and drink whiskey. Who's with me?

*****

Happy Independence Day! If we can be happy about our state of "independence." But. I don't want to get into that. Maybe it's better this way: I wish everybody independence! And the only independence that matters is that we can say what we want, make our own decisions, and pursue what we really want, without being afraid or apologetic. And if we don't know what we want, then I wish for the freedom to know what it truly is, instead of just waiting for someone to point us to something, somewhere.


1 comment:

dreyers said...

You too, Pat! Oo naman, basta always stick to your guns! hahaha. Gosh, I miss the hell out of you guys! Sana I get to see you soon! Mwah!