Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Nostalgia

Here, take a seat
with your grandmother and listen
to her breathing:
Does the rhythm sometimes falter?
And with it your heart too, stutters.

Fast forward to the time
ahead. Days, weeks, months, years
when you sit on this same bench alone.
Suddenly your heart roars in protest,
and you have to stop the hands

from grabbing her; clutching her
to your side to make her stay!
But I tell you, listen.
Her breaths whisper, Be calm,
I am here
yet with you.

Take this time
now
. Imagine yourself
Odysseus on the shores of Ithaca.
The journey must occur.
And home, home will always wait.


2 comments:

M said...

Drey! How was the workshop? Who lead it? How was Dumaguete? I've never been but everyone I know who's been there loves it. I love your poems, especially the previous two. I didn't renew my domain.

dreyers said...

Melai! I panicked when I saw that your domain was for sale! Are you planning to setup a new one? Dumaguete is lovely, lovely. I want to live there someday! hahaha. "Mom" Edith Tiempo led it. When are you coming home, let'g go there together! Miss you