Sunday, February 12, 2006

Well, well. What do we have here?

In a recent phone conversation, my best friend was tricked into admitting that she solves math problems to help her relax. Mean bitch that I am, I had a field day with this information--laughed myself to tears (unmoved by her embarrassed protests--actually, these made me laugh harder) and, as you can see, published this information on my blog.

But then a few nights ago, I had been trying to write for about three hours (read: staring at the blank document screen, cursing, writing an odd line or two, wishing for a cigarette, staring, pulling my hair, talking to myself, erasing that odd line or two, staring...) when I stumbled upon a distraction. I mean an idea. An idea for an experiment, to be exact.

I took out an old college chemistry book (to each her own), looked up my most-hated topic, read up a little bit about it, solved an even-numbered problem (no solution at the back), came up with a reasonable answer following logical progression, felt extremely smug and relaxed, and finally fell asleep.

Sure, I still haven't written that poem. But my, my. How the tables have turned.

*****

My uncle has just given me an enormous assignment: 32 CDs of about 11 songs each that I have to put into his iPod. The CDs are mostly classical or opera, which I don't hate, but don't intend to fully appreciate until I am in my 50s. Then my laptop doesn't recognize his iPod (or it doesn't want to), and I had to do a little research and some fiddling around (do you know about the 5R's of overcoming any, and I mean ANY iPod issues? And they actually call it that: iPod issues.) plus some extra downloading which is a bitch with my lousy connection.

It doesn't end there. These CDs are pretty old, and I am assuming that once I rip them, they'll act like little shithead cowards and hide behind such blah names as Unknown Album, Track 13, etc, etc, etc. And since he wants them organized into albums ("I don't want them shuffled. I want to listen to a complete opera, not have it jump from one aria to the next."), I'm thinking I won't have a lot of time staring into space (or blank screens) this week.

Thing is I'm actually looking forward to it. THAT'S how big a nerd I am.

Can you see it? One person. 7 days. 20 GB of space. 32 CDs. 350 songs. This could be the next big reality series.

*****

Last night I was explaining different 5-card combinations and possibilities (not to mention probabilities) of poker to my 15-year-old sister. I wanted to play a bit of Russian poker and she was to be my victim. Totally bored with my explanations on why a flush beats a straight, she innocently asked, "What about blackjack? What's that about?" So I answered, "Two cards minimum, you add them up and the sum closest to 21 wins" impatient to get on with my Basics of Poker trial lessson. With a gleam in her eye, she goes, "Only two cards? 21? Okay, that's what we're playing."

And before I could say, "Wha--?" She takes the cards away from me, shuffles them expertly and starts to deal.

"Dealer has an Ace showing. You want insurance against a possible blackjack?" she asks.

How about insurance against a possible black eye?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your uncle paying you? :)

dreyers said...

i didn't see it that way, and i suppose, neither did he, but yes. actually yes. :)