Friday, December 23, 2005

Forgetting is an erosion

Forgetting


The rain poured relentlessly.
It filtered through leaves,
soaked grass; it broke
twigs, washed away
flowers.

It turned hard-packed earth into
muddy puddles—where even
a reflection couldn’t form
for the incessant droplets
shattering its surface.

*****


I can be so stupid sometimes. And such a coward.

Once, I was dared to hunt the hunter, to find the words and write, to be a poet! At the same time, I was asked, "Who is crazy enough to dare a hunter?"

Through the buzz of fear around my heart, I forgot the question and could only hear these words: crazy, fool, naive. I forgot the question Who? and more importantly, I forgot the answer: It could be me. Yes, it could be me.

So I grabbed whatever excuse I could not to respond to the dare. The distance was already there; it was only a matter of time; it's too much of a risk. Ad infinitum. Forgetting after all is a form of erosion-- destruction through time. And all I could remember is how, when one waits long enough, time destroys everything. Everything: things, places, people. Memory.

So I wrote that poem above...

But. I write to remember. And it's true, time destroys everything. But perhaps, waiting and doing nothing kills it much, much faster, and leaves you with nothing, not even memory. So, I search, and search, for the words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dru...

first thing's first... you had beauty (flowers) and substance (hard earth). grieving over the -possibly temporary- loss is one thing, lamenting that they existed but are now not within immediate reach is quite another.

and the rains, well... it not only destroys the elements as you know it, but with the rains, things can begin again... maybe even the same flower in the same bit of earth... after a little time and sun...

and wasn't it brave to be
crazy despite your reason
foolish despite your intellect
and naive though you are cunning

and isn't it cowardice to fall back on the the weapons/methods/games that you would at any other time employ? not only use, but win with?

to allow yourself to back out of a dare is a display of temperance and maturity. 我慢はたいへんですよ。 心が痛くなる。。。本当に分かると思う。。。

time destroys everything? with time though, things begin. and doing nothing... is sometimes much more than doing something.

dreyers said...

r,

perhaps what is holding me back from quitting the dare is that, so far, i feel i haven't done everything i could. the prize seems worth the effort. i just don't want to find myself asking, "what if i'd waited it out a little longer?" in the future.

what you said is true. 心が悲しみに打ちひしがれることをじっくり考えてるよ。でも、価値があることなら少しでもやってみたら、むだじゃないと思う...

it just might be worth it. and if i do get my heart broken, maybe i need that experience.

but thank you. you made me see it (rain/time) in a less fatalistic manner.